Niterói’s Municipal Theater was first opened in 1842 and went through numerous renovation processes throughout the years, until it was reopened in 1995.
The listed building, originally built in the 19th century, underwent a renovation process between 1992 and 1995, and it houses Niterói’s Municipal Theater, a theater considered by historians to be an important part of the history of Brazilian theater. During the renovations, they decided to preserve the elements of neoclassical architecture that were added to the building on the renovations between 1888 and 1889, while also bringing some modern tendencies to the building. In 1900, it was renamed in honor of the great actor João Caetano, who was a constant presence in its stage from 1842 until his death in 1863.
Rua Quinze de Novembro, 35 - Centro
Rio de Janeiro - RJ
+55 21 2620-1624